Last weekend, we picked our very first tomato. Just two days shy of officially earning the bragging rights with my slightly garden-obsessed family.
I'm the only member of my family who doesn't garden. In fact, I'm lucky to keep my houseplants alive.
But C.R. has a way with plants. Sunshine too. Each season, they spend hours together cultivating our small backyard garden. They make a great team: C.R. does the real work and Sunshine gets to believe she's helping.
In fall, they clear out the remnants of last year's garden.
In winter, they prepare the soil.
In spring, they plant a slew of fruits and veggies - tomatoes, green beans, squash, bell peppers, and strawberries.
All summer long, they water and weed and fertilize.
It takes a lot of time and energy.
Then, finally, we all get to enjoy the fruit of their labor.
And that's when I realize we'll see fruit well beyond this summer.
Because it's more than a garden that this father is cultivating with his little girl. She just doesn't know it yet.
Much like my Heavenly Father.
And me.


8 comments:
what a good daddy!
This is a beautiful post. I love it!
As Father's tend soil in the hearts of their daughters... fruit is seen well past summer.
Ahhh so great!
~Manda
Love this Denise...tending the soil in the hearts of our children does take time, and alot of patience (especially when it comes to weeding:)
Man! You made me cry there in that last bit. I wasn't expecting it; you just reached out and made me cry. Sniff.
Such a sweet post. I LOVE the pictures. Especially the last one. Amazing.
Before you made me cry I was giggling over how I garden compared with your husband's thorough way:
I plant. I wait. If something grows, hooray! Nothing more, nothing less.
I'm not gardening this year because usually my garden is not edible and I found a wonderful little farm nearby that will do the work for me ;)
Thank you for the reminder that our Father does not "garden" as thoughtlessly as I do.
I love the picture and the thoughts. So special that she will always have those memories of growing with her Daddy.
I am like you...I have a very black thumb:)
Blessings,
Amy
and me.
i wonder if God does the real work, and let's me believe i am helping.
maybe i don't need to be so hard on myself. maybe i just need to enjoy the Master Gardener, work in the garden with him, and wait for the fruit of his labor.
look how your sweet post spoke to me today.
thanks!
Love this post - it just reached out and grabbed my heart - especially the picture, how you described and brought in the analogy of our heavenly Father. Thank you for sharing your gift of writing - it's inspiring and this morning I needed to be reminded of what you wrote!
Dana Klinkner :)
we've been harvesting tomatoes too! Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a delightful spot to slip off my shoes and drench myself in goodness.
Splashin,
Sara
Post a Comment