I’m incredibly thankful for the opportunity to see him. When my grandma passed away several years ago (on my birthday, no less), it was sudden. We didn’t get to say goodbye. I still have that last birthday card she sent to me – the one that arrived just days before her death. In it, she wrote that she missed us and wished I would write more often.
Oh, how I regret that now. Why do we take life for granted, always assuming that we’ll have more time with our loved ones?
This life is brief.
So it was important to me that we make the seven-hour drive to visit my grandpa this weekend, maybe for the last time.
It’s been a sweet visit. Although Sunshine has only visited her great-grandpa a few times, she didn’t hesitate to climb into his lap to snuggle with him. When he mentioned that it had been a rough day, Sunshine held his hand and looked at him with concern. Then she placed her head against his chest.
I could see that my grandpa was treasuring that moment, much like I was doing.
Tears came to my eyes as he gently hugged her and said, “I love you, sweetheart.” She looked up at him and softly spoke the same endearing words. I snapped this picture a few minutes later.

Then Grandpa gave me a priceless gift - a stunning jewelry box that my grandma had received from friends in Korea. (My grandparents were foreign missionaries – registered nurses – who traveled all over the world.) This beautiful jewelry box is black with an intricate inlaid design made from mother-of-pearl. I hope to someday pass it on to Sunshine, who was named after her grandmother.
Throughout the afternoon and evening, I took every opportunity to hug my grandpa and hold his hand. When the time came to leave, it was just the two of us in his room. I desperately wanted to pray for him. It was as though the Lord would not let me walk out of that room until I’d dropped to my knees before Him.
When I asked if I could pray, Grandpa seemed to long for it as desperately as I did. The prayer simply flowed from my mouth, my heart. It was brief, but sweet.
And then I said goodnight. Now I find myself dreading saying goodbye tomorrow.
I’m sorry for the sad posts lately; I have to admit that it’s sort-of a bittersweet season in my life right now. I promise that I’ll be back with some lighthearted posts soon.
Just not tonight.
4 comments:
You don't worry about lighthearted - we read your blog because we like you and all that comes with you. I am (again) crying at my computer over your post and that sweet picture. Praying for you today: Saying good-bye to grandparents always stinks. Especially when you're not sure if there will be another hello in this world.
Hope this day is full for your family.
just say what you need to say...share your heart...joy or sorrow...
Praying for you and your family as you prepare to say good-bye.
this post is beautiful. it is not sad. i like to read your story.
were his hands soft? i bet they were soft.
what a gift you are to him. can you imagine the joy, the life, that comes from seeing your next generations love your Jesus. i hope for that day when my grand children will love my Jesus and pray with me. that is when i will have REALLY lived!
may God continue to cover you and your family with his grace upon grace, show himself to you, be close.
Denise, I'm horrible at finding words during hard times. Plain horrible.
Just know that you're loved and prayed for and you gave your grandpa an awesome gift by spending time with him.
Post a Comment