I survived my first swimming lesson.
And I didn't panic, drown, or - worst of all - pee my swimsuit.
I was, however, super nervous.
I got to the gym 20 minutes early, quickly changed into my swimsuit (and yes, hair clip and goggles) and then hid out in a bathroom stall until my lesson. Also, I might've texted my husband and a couple close friends from said stall. (Hey, I wasn't actually using it at the time; I was just hiding in there.)
This thought kept crossing my mind: "I can still back out. I can still back out." No, I didn't act on it. Instead, I forced myself to walk out to the pool area and meet my swimming instructor, Linda. The one who isn't a drill sergeant, by the way. Yes, she's direct and opinionated. But she's also patient and funny and an awesome swimmer.
She's the perfect teacher for me.
Linda was right about the goggles and the hair clips - they helped a lot. I do need a more functional swimsuit, though, as my instructor may have (tactfully) pointed out. My cute navy tankini with the little skirt bottom was ridiculous in the pool. Every time I got into the water, my skirt ballooned out and then "passed gas."
Lovely.
Linda told me that learning when and how to breathe in the water is the most important skill in swimming. So I spent most of my time face down in the water. It started with blowing bubbles in water that I cupped in my hands, which I'm certain looked ridiculous to everyone around us. Then we moved on to lots of front floating and some back floating. This wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
I'd like to say that the lesson was fun and easy, and that as soon as I got into the water, my fears just floated away...
...but that's not what happened.
It was hard and it was scary, especially at first. I did get more comfortable as the lesson progressed, but it never felt easy. Every time I had to put my face down in that water and blow air and float (or whatever), I had to give myself a little pep talk. I looked at the bottom of the pool and counted to ten to take my mind off my fears. Being underwater definitely takes some getting used to.
Still, I'm doing it. I can't believe I'm finally doing it. And I've signed up for at least six more lessons.
This post might sound dumb to those of you who have been swimming most of your lives. It probably would to me if I'd figured out this stuff at age 5 instead of 35.
For me, though, it's kind-of a big deal. It takes courage to face your fears, whatever they may be.
My sweet Sunshine understands this oh, so well. She struggles with a couple big fears of her own. Ever since I mentioned taking swimming lessons, she's been my cheerleader and number one fan. Last night, before I left the house for my swimming lesson, I told her that I didn't want to go.
She gave me a hug and she prayed with me.
"Dear Jesus. Please help my mom at her swimming lesson. Help her to be brave and strong. Amen."
I know that He answered her prayer.
7 comments:
Sitting here bawling. I'm so proud of you and so inspired by you.
You did this. You're *doing* this.
What an awesome example to your little girl who has fears of her own she's facing - with your help.
I love it.
And I look forward to the water metaphors.
Do you want a link to that swimsuit again, size 10 yr? ;)
Yeah!! So proud of you! One step at a time.
I AM SOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU.
see, i'm shouting it from the rooftop up here in canada ;)
seriously, you are doing this.
you are brave.
and strong.
and a beautiful example to your sweet children.
it IS a big deal.
you, my friend, are amazing.
and i have to tell you once again, i adore your storytelling. i could picture everything you wrote.
i like ya a lot :D
What a sweet prayer for you! She will always remember how you faced your fears, it will help her face her own, good job!
Cool.
Awesome!
How cool is it that our kids see us rely on God's strength. I love how your sweet girl prayed for you. So precious.
So we need to hear an update about how the swimming lessons went! It's been a while now. :-)
Post a Comment