Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Plant Whisperer

In the spring, we planted a small vegetable garden in our backyard. Sunshine helped her Daddy work the soil and plant the seeds. She delighted in watching those vegetables sprout and grow.

She could hardly wait until it was time to start harvesting squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes.


Now, when she hears me open the sliding glass door to our backyard (even if it's just to let the dog out), Sunshine will race through the house, calling out that she'll pick the cherry tomatoes.


My little girl simply loves our summer garden.


So I tried to be quiet and discreet on Sunday afternoon when I mentioned to C.R. that our lone cucumber plant is diseased and needs to be pulled from the garden.


Sunshine immediately piped up.


Her: "Is the cucumber plant sick? Is it gonna diiiie?"
Me: "Yes, honey. We need to take it out of the garden."
Her: "No we don't, Mommy. I'll go sing to the cucumbers to help them get better."

I love my sweet, funny little girl.



I only captured this one song, but Sunshine must have sung a dozen songs to that pitiful plant. I overheard a couple renditions of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, and Jesus Loves Me.


Who knows what the neighbors heard? I'm smiling just thinking about it.


I love the way kids think. If only we could sing all our problems away...

5 comments:

Amy said...

This is adorable! Her sweet little voice is precious. Thanks for sharing.
Amy

Amy said...

That is SO stinkin' cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I wish I could be more like a child.

B.D.Riehl said...

Oh my goodness. That is the sweetest thing I have ever seen. What a precious heart!

Kristie said...

Can she come sing to my cucumbers?? Our garden had a late start this year...they need all the help they can get :)