Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Someday

Lately I've been reminded to make the most of my time with Sunshine. After all, that time is limited. She will only be my little girl for a season.

Someday...

She won't need me to give her a bubble bath, or cut up her food, or wash her little-girl clothes.

She won't beg me to tell her stories about a busy little dog named Fluffy.

She'll forget how fun it is to play a simple game of Candy Land or Hide and Seek with me.

She won't want me to make up silly songs with her and dance around her bedroom.

She'll outgrow tea parties and picnics on the living room floor with her stuffed animal friends.

She'll stop running to me with her arms uplifted when she gets hurt.

She won't need me to read Bible stories to her and hold her hand when I pray with her.

Someday she'll be too big for those things. But not today.

Today...

When she donned her plastic tiara and earrings and exclaimed that a real princess needs to wear a dress, I readily pulled one from her closet and put it on over her shorts and t-shirt.

After she sweetly asked to wear that princess getup to the store, I agreed, even though I knew other moms might think I spoil her.

When I stopped by the espresso shop for my coffee fix, I ordered her an Italian soda with whipped cream and sprinkles on top.

During lunchtime, I giggled with her as we made silly faces.

Before her nap, I savored holding her in my lap and lingered over the story books instead of hurrying through them.

And now, as I hear her waking from that nap, I'm going to end this post quickly and turn off my computer so we can work on dinner. Together.

Someday, my little girl will grow up. But I'm making the most of today.

7 comments:

Keely said...

So sweet! I love her Tiara, I wore one out once, and I was much older than three :) Somebody asked me, "why are you wearing a tiara?" and I said "why aren't you?" She's not spoiled she's having fun!

Sarah said...

The days when you're doubting if you're a good mama or not-come back and read this post.

Next time I go for a coffee, I'm going to get Sugar an italian soda. Good thinkin'!

Love this post.

B.D.Riehl said...

Ah. So true. She is blessed to have a mom that is aware of time and appreciative of now. You made this silly pregnant lady cry. Now I can't wait for my little one to wake up this morning so we can play!

Amy said...

Oh, this is so sweet! Your right it does go so quickly. I use to think that my oldest daughter would never grow out of the princess stage...now she gives all princess things to her baby sister because she thinks she is too old for princess things.
Blessings,
Amy

charissa said...

Good job! I bet you had fun too!

So you must be liking this blog design cause it hasn't changed much for quite awhile. Looks good, but so did the others.

Kristie said...

the time just goes by so fast...oh how there are days when I just want to freeze time!!!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Yes, yes and more yes! This is a day well lived.

Enjoy your princess...

This made me happy.

My girl is 12. My boy, 16. They do grow up. Fast!