Sunday, November 15, 2009

Chicken Wisdom

When it comes to parenting (and most of the rest of life too), I can care too much about what other people think. I want them to see my well-dressed and perfectly-behaved child and think that I'm the most amazing parent ever. (Um, you can stop laughing now.)

But lately I've been trying not to worry about what others think and just parent the way C.R. and I believe is best. This week, that meant letting my child choose her own outfits. I realize that this is probably routine in most homes, but it's a big step outside my own comfort zone.

Nonetheless, I sorta assumed that we wouldn't have too much trouble, what with Sunshine's impressive ability at age 3 to discern whether or not clothes go together. When C.R. has dressed her, I've even overheard her chiding him for selecting an outfit that didn't match.

On Monday, she chose to wear a dress and tights. No problem. She loves dresses and looks adorable in them.

But the rest of the week she wanted to wear this:


A chicken costume.

It nearly killed me, but I let her wear that thing at home and even to run a few errands and go to a friend's house. Some people gave us indulgent smiles, while others probably wondered about my parenting skills.

I struggled to ignore the negative reactions.

But Sunshine didn't care. She loved every second she spent in this outfit, clucking and cock-a-doodling as loudly as I'd allow.


I could learn a thing or two from that girl.

4 comments:

B.D.Riehl said...

I love it! I have the same problem. Why do we care what strangers think in light of memories we make for our kids? My sister and brother-in-law are both the strong type that just don't care what people think and their daughter wore a cow costume for a loooong time...until she grew out of it, in fact. I'm sure that makes you feel better :)
But, the people that matter and that you want giving you their opinion (me) think this way of letting your daughter dress as a chicken is wonderful. And downright adorable. Good job.
And tell CR that inquiring minds (me) are now very curious about that TMI post :) Although I've had Richard veto a few myself.

Kristie said...

"...Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter..." Dr. Seus

smart little chicken you have there!!

Sarah said...

I LOVE THIS!!

I really think it's awesome that you'd let her wear that. I wish Jaylee would do that! ☺

She's been dressing herself for quite awhile now and does fairly well. But in the beginning, oh my. My favorite was purple snow boots, a Christmas-y plaid skirt, a shirt that was inside out and backwards and sunglasses.

That was my favorite trip to the grocery store!

Denise said...

i guess in a way i wear a chicken costume every day- clucking and cock-a-doodling daily.

sshhh, don't tell anyone, but i am a control freak, and i still pretty much pick out my kids clothes (11,10,7). i'm trying to relax, only choosing them for church or big events. i have begun letting them have input, but i can and do veto.
i have come along way. but not till my 3rd child. josie is an intentional mismatcher (mismatched socks with mismatched shoes are her daily picks). and i let her. somehow her silly little personality pulls it off.
in hindsight i wish i would have let them all be chickens.