Sunday, December 27, 2009

What She Really Wanted

It wasn't the toy I expected to give my 3-year-old daughter for Christmas.

She usually likes all things girlie and princess.

But this year, when we asked Sunshine what she really wanted for Christmas, she answered without hesitation.

"An electric train."

We asked again - on several occasions - and her response was always the same.

"Would you like a fancy dollhouse instead? One with a family and furniture inside?" C.R. would ask.

"No, thank you." She'd respond. "I'd just like an electric train."

Sigh.

It certainly wasn't what I had in mind. For months, I'd planned to buy her a beautiful wooden dollhouse - the kind I would've cherished as a little girl. I even found one online that matched the cheery pinks and yellows in her bedroom decor.

I never ordered that dollhouse.

Instead, I sent my husband into boy territory at the toy store to find an electric train. Because that's what our daughter wanted.

And she absolutely loves it.

4 comments:

B.D.Riehl said...

Good job, Mommy. So cute. I know the feeling. Raegan loves all things Toy Story right now and all things Toy Story are in the boy section. Far from the frilly presents I was expecting :) I'm with Sunshine - electric trains are so cool!

Kristie said...

She was so proud to tell me all about her new train yesterday!!

Denise said...

so cute.

we have a wooden doll house. it's my daughter emilie's. it was her 1 yr old b-day present. i get them something they will keep for the rest of their lives on their first b-day. it was the little girl in me that always wanted a wooden dollhouse that had to get her one. :-)
maybe next year your daughter will want to begin growing a town around her dollhouse, and the first stop will be home!

Sarah said...

It is a pretty sweet train set. Maybe someone should send an email to the company about making them in yellow and pink? ☺