Thursday, September 9, 2010

Crazy Brilliant (Stupid) Ideas

Do you ever have an idea in the middle of the night that is just amazingly brilliant and you wonder why you never thought of it before? Then, just hours later, you can see exactly why you never thought of it before:

It's the dumbest idea ever.

No? Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I had one of those brilliant dumb ideas awhile back.

Around 2:00am, I was wide awake, thinking about my name. Nothing odd in that, is there? That's when my brilliant idea surfaced:

I should change my first name.

I've always thought my name was dated. It started when I was a kid and the other Denises I met were older than me. None were my age. More than once, I'd be at a restaurant with my family when the waitress (sporting big 80's hair) would overhear my name. She'd give me a grin and say something like:

"Honey, that's my name too!"

Great. Just what every seven-year-old wants to hear - that she shares her name with an old lady.

Then there was the incredibly irritating "D'niece and D'nephew" joke. If you haven't heard it, I won't insult your intelligence by repeating it here. It wasn't even funny to me as a kid. I hated that stupid joke. It made me wish that I had a normal name like Amy or Lisa - even if it meant that my teachers and classmates would forever add an initial to my name...as in, Lisa C., Lisa H., and Lisa W. Remember them? Some kids have all the luck.

Nowadays, few people under thirty know what to do with my name. When I order coffee and give my name, the twenty-something barista will inevitably look at the name on the order and call out "Dennis." Then she'll look surprised when I show up to grab the coffee - likely wondering why Dennis couldn't pick up his own darn drink. (Still, I should be thankful she didn't pull out the D'nephew joke - that one almost always comes from a man over fifty. Don't know why.)

The one time I remember being complimented on my name was during graduate school, when I met a visiting Russian professor from my husband's department. We were at a party when C.R. introduced us. Sasha gave me a flirty smile and said he loved my beautiful French name.

Then again, I'm not sure if that compliment counts, since Sasha wasn't completely sober at the time. Although - on the plus side - my name is apparently attractive to drunk Russian men.

Let's face it: some names just have a shelf life. I think mine was already a little stale when I was born. It's definitely past the pull date now.

Now you know all the reasons why I thought my idea was brilliant.

What makes it dumb?

Who changes their name because of young baristas and a stupid joke? Seriously. It's the name my parents gave me, the one everyone has called me all of my life. (Even Sunshine has tried using it a few times, although that didn't go as well as she probably expected.) Now, as an adult, I've met some really cool Denises. A couple are even close to my age. Besides all that, I like that my name isn't too common. And somehow it's just me.

So I'll stick with Denise.

Now to deal with my latest brilliant middle-of-the-night idea: getting Sunshine a kitten...

9 comments:

B.D.Riehl said...

Sigh. Now I want to pull out that joke when you're here...not because I ever would have thought of it...but because now I'm know I'm not supposed to. I will try to keep my lips zipped.
So were the tea hats and skinny jeans one of your 2 am thoughts...?
Haha!

Sarah said...

I was the kid known as Sarah C. or Little Sarah (oh to be known as little again!) or even, The Short Sarah.

I've not wanted to change my name, but I did always wish it weren't so common.

And the kitten idea? Well, my girls love theirs. And I totally love them too. I think Sunshine would be thrilled! Heck, you don't need a litter box, just a house plant. ;)

Sarah said...

P.S. Love the new blog design! When are you opening up your own business?

xo

Nora said...

I love the name Denise:) Especially because it belongs to you! And...getting a cat has been nice but, alot of extra work if it's an indoor cat with long hair. We love our cat, and I don't have too many regrets but, sheesh, between the litter box, the hair everywhere, and keeping those claws clipped so they are not tearing up the furniture, I feel like we have adopted another child!An outdoor cat would probably be a different story, but I don't want to worry about him and the busy street:) Love the new blog design:)

frogglet said...

I totally get this post, I so wanted to be a Jennifer or a Christina growing up. You think Denise is dated, Cora is practically nonexistent. I never got that is my name too, I always that's my Grandma's name.
Now I love my name and there is even a little girl across the street from us named Cora, I hope she likes her name someday too.

Manda said...

I think you should stick with Denise too. I've always like the uniqueness of my name, trouble is I get called Amanda all the time. So I call people A(blank), for instance I'd say "ummm that's not actually my name. It's just Manda with an M. But if you like I can call you Adenise and we'd be even." LOL :) Just kidding!!!
~Mmmmmanda
P.S. Oh and I love Lecrae too. Totally adoring the newest Toby Mac cd as well. Have you heard it?

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

This post made me laugh, especially the part about the waitresses with the big hair! And I actually hadn't heard the joke, but it makes me laugh to imagine. :) I always wanted to change my name too - there were SO many Sarah's. But now I actually like it. Who knew?! Love the new blog look by the way - you are so good at keeping it fresh! :)

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise said...

i so could have written this post!

i don't think any of your other commenters get it as well as i do...for obvious reasons.

seriously, what's with that joke?

i've grown to like my (our) name too.

BUT you'll recall i do have a starbuck's name, "rachel"
http://jonesidosio.blogspot.com/2009/11/rachel-norah.html

i think your starbuck's name should be rachel too.