Seventeen years ago, when I was a junior in high school, my friend Ginger set me up on a blind date.
With my future husband.
(Would I dedicate the post to him if it were about a different guy?)
Technically, it wasn't a "blind" date. I knew C.R. a little through some mutual friends. We'd even had a conversation in the school library once about chemistry. He politely observed my mental contortions for Advanced Placement Chemistry class and likely chuckled to himself. What can I say? Science is not my thing. It must've been a fluke that I ended up in that class anyway.
Fortunately, C.R. has no memory of our disastrous first conversation. Too bad I can't say the same thing about our second "conversation" - if you could even call it that.
But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Before our date, I didn't know C.R. But I did know the following about him (ooh, I feel a list coming):
- He was 5'9, with a slim and athletic build.
- He was super smart. As in Valedictorian smart. (Meanwhile, the closest I got to Valedictorian of my class was sitting behind her at graduation.)
- He was quiet and reserved, but had a low voice that could've easily led to a lucrative career at a 900-number.
- He was a senior, so the only class we shared was pep band. (Hey - quit laughing. Our band was cool, I swear.)
- He had wavy brown hair and sported round glasses that, if paired with a red-and-white striped shirt, would've given him the distinguished "Where's Waldo?" look. I'm just thankful he didn't have a mullet.
- He drove an old blue Ford pick-up.
When Ginger asked if she could set me up on a date with C.R., I was excited and just a tiny bit nervous. Well, more like a tiny bit scared out of my mind.
We met at Ginger's house for pizza and movies, along with two other couples. I got there first and nervously waited for C.R. When he arrived, we were officially introduced before we sat together on the loveseat.
And then promptly said nothing to each other for the rest of the date.
Nothing. I'm not exaggerating.
Talk about awkward. It was almost as graceless as the date itself: eating pizza while watching the gory movie Carrie (ugh! I hate horror movies) and trying not to notice the couple making out on the sofa.
Good times.
Doesn't it make you wonder how we got from that evening to ten wonderful years of marriage?I guess it started somewhere on the drive home, when we finally began talking. I asked him about track and he asked me about debate. (Hold your snickers, please. I'll reserve the fascinating stories from debate camp for a later post.)
Then, during the next week at school, we spent every free moment together getting to know each other. And several years later - after college - we got married.
There was some other stuff that happened in between. But I'll save that for another post or two.
Or 47.
5 comments:
I love that you said absolutely nothing on your first date! That's hysterical!
Can't wait to hear more!
I laughed so loud at the list that the girls looked at me funny - even Harper. Especially the part about sitting behind the valedictorian. Ha! I helped ours write her speech - the funny parts, not the smart parts. And that was only because we car pooled together and were 2 of 19 in our class. Anywhooo...
Can't wait to read the 47 posts in between :)
If I hold my hand over you, C.R. totally looks like S.P.'s young pictures. No wonder people mistake them for each other. You have good taste =)
C.P.
I love it! I never knew how you met. You were already dating him when I came into the picture. In the photo he looks very suave and debonair!
how adorable and young you both are in the picture!!
congrats on 17 yrs!
Post a Comment