Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bunko Con(versation)

A couple days ago, a friend invited me to be a substitute player in her Bunko group on Friday night. Even though I've never played the game, I was happy to tell her that I'll be there.

That is, I was excited at first. During the course of our phone conversation, I started to wonder. This is basically how things went down:

BF (Bunko Friend): "My Bunko group is meeting this Friday and we need another player. Are you available?"
Me: "Yeah, that sounds fun. Thanks for thinking of me."

Wow, I'm honored to be invited. It must be because I'm such a cool chick.


BF: "We'll take any players we can get. We've lost four players already and have decided to discontinue the group next year."
Me: "Oh, I'm sorry."
BF: "If I can't find anyone else to come this week, I'll make my daughters play."

Okay, burst my bubble, why don't you? She does sound desperate. Wonder if her three-year-old will be playing on Friday night as well?

Me: "Is there something I can bring?"
BF: "Yes, five dollars."

What?! This game involves losing money?

BF: "Plan to come at 6:00 because we do dinner together."
Me: "That sounds nice."

Sweet! At least I don't have to worry about cooking dinner that night. My family can survive on leftovers.

BF: "One more thing. Would you mind bringing the main dish?

Ooh - these ladies are good.

Alright, now the full disclosure: our conversation didn't happen exactly the way I posted it. These were just the parts of the conversation (paraphrased, of course) that cracked me up.

My Bunko friend is one of the sweetest women I've met. She would never be rude. So I am looking forward to hanging out at her house on Friday night.

Along with all those other freaking brilliant ladies who'll take my money and eat my food.

Thinking I may need to start my own Bunko group...

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm snorting from laughing so hard!

Amy said...

Denise,
I am so glad you are coming!
I totally look forward to eating your food and taking your money!:)

Kristie said...

heehee...clever women!!

Cami said...

Okay Denise...yes that was funny!! Although one detail was misinterpreted...my 2 oldest girls are playing ..because I had to find 7 subs this Friday. So I don't think Karis will be playing this time. It will be a blast (I hope) and worth bringing the main dish and 5 bucks!!!
You crack me up...just "ring it on" Friday night!! Thanks for coming Chicky!

Denise said...

are we the same person, or do we just share the same name??

your paraphrased conversation has happened to me word for word!

i subbed,brought my $5, and even brought a great dish (should sub's bring a dish??). on top of that i lost. i figured i was guaranteed to become their regular substitute. they never called back (and i didn't video blog them).

B.D.Riehl said...

You are so funny ;) I personally think Bunko is a cult...but whatever. :)