Saturday, October 24, 2009

Jack-O-All Trades

"I want Daddy to cut a face in my pumpkin and make pumpkin pie."

These were the first words out of Sunshine's mouth when I picked her up from preschool earlier this week. Her class had just returned from their first field trip of the year - to a quaint country store and pumpkin patch. She'd been thrilled to be taking that trip "all on her own" (read: with her teachers and small class, as well as half a dozen parents - I guess she figured that qualified since I wasn't along).

It's probably good that Sunshine didn't know how close I was to calling the school that morning to cancel her participation in the trip. I'll spare you the details, but I will show you the picture I snapped before we walked out the door. I figured the police could use it to identify her when she became a kidnapping victim at the pumpkin patch.


Sigh. Yes, I'm that paranoid mom sometimes.

Anyway, Sunshine proudly carried her pumpkin to the car and lifted it to the seat next to her. We both studied it for a moment. I could easily see that it was too small for carving or baking.

For C.R.'s sake, I needed to cleverly maneuver my child around this fact.

(Please note: the pumpkin here appears much larger than in real life. It's actually dwarfed by that planter in the background.)


"That's such a cute pumpkin; I don't think you want to cut it up. Maybe we could draw a fancy face on her instead?" I suggested.

Sunshine frowned. She isn't easily fooled. I figured I need to pull out the big guns of the coloring world.

"We could use markers."

"No, Mommy." She said, unmoved. "Pumpkins are supposed to have real faces, the kind you cut out with a sharp thing. And then you put a candle inside."

She looked at me as though I'd missed out on the parenting class where this material was covered. I figured I needed to be more direct.

"Honey, it's going to be really hard to cut that small pumpkin. I don't think we can do it."

This time, Sunshine looked at me as though doubting my competency completely.

"Well, Daddy can do it," she replied resolutely. "And then he'll make pumpkin pie."

"Okay, fine." Well, at least she has confidence in one of her parents.

That night, after dinner, I was headed out for coffee with a friend. As I neared the door, I overheard Sunshine asking her dad to give the pumpkin a face. I smiled smugly at C.R., thankful he'd be the one handling the explanation of the too-tiny pumpkin this time.

But I underestimated that man. A couple hours later, I came home to one excited little girl and a tidy jack-o-lantern on our front step.


You'll notice, however, that there is no picture of a mini pumpkin pie.

Hey, C.R. is a daddy; he's not a miracle worker.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I love it! Such a cute story. We are carving our pumpkin tonight.
Blessings,
Amy

B.D.Riehl said...

SO cute! I love it ;) And I am, also, that paranoid parent. If for some reason we have both of our cars for a family outing (like if we meet up somewhere after work), Richard is not allowed to have both girls with him in his car. They can both be with me, but not all three of them can be in a car without me. Because, obviously if he were to wreck, I cannot be expected to lose them all in one shot. :) I'm that kind of thinker. So I also, would have taken pictures and written her description, then worried until she came home.
Er, I mean...silly, Denise! Relax. Let go. Enjoy... :)
Cute pumpkin :)
And the one on the front porch is pretty cute, too.

Anonymous said...

C.R. was very talented because I saw the pumpkin and it was small. How he got his hand in there I don't know. Go C.R.

C.P.

Denise said...

i am that paranoid of a mommy too.

cute pumpkin. btw- my husband is typically the pumpkin carving pie making miracle worker in our house.

Sarah said...

After 11 years of marriage I'm learning to never underestimate my husband.

Pretty sure you're learning that as well.

They can do anything!

grandviewlive said...

I think all Daddy's want to be heros to their kids. It must be double for daughters; I have sons. Sunshine must by now have it figured out that Daddy can do anything! I find that each success increases the expectation. It's cool, but it's fearful too. Never believe that anything is too far-fetched to be obsessed-over. My first-born firstborn (that's right) is recently obsessed with Jack, (as in Jack-in-the-Box's CEO...). With luck and God's grace, we'll just make it (photos to come on FB). Christmas? Think of the strangest, weirdest, no-way-est critter you never new existed until about a month before your kid asked you to Google a stuffed (as in plush) one. Really. Then check out how easy it is to get a stuffed naked mole-rat on Amazon.com. THEN tell C.R. to pace himself.
peace

krispie07 said...

Just one question...If you were so paranoid, why didn't you go on the field trip too? Just curious.

denise said...

Krissie, I considered going on the field trip, but Sunshine asked me not to go (more like begged - sheesh). She's definitely an independent little girl.