Our laptop died this week.
Sad, I know. Although I'm no computer expert (which may become more obvious as you read this post), I seriously doubt that this laptop can be revived. Officially speaking, it does run. We can turn it on. But what happens after that is a mystery to me, except for the fact that it won't run an operating system.
And I'm pretty sure that's important.
Fortunately, my oldest brother - who IS a computer expert - gave us a new used desktop computer last week. He fixed up a reject (computer - not a nerdy IT guy) from his work and passed it along to us. We were thrilled to get a second computer. It meant that we had two computers for one blissful week.
Now, however, the former reject has been bumped up to the only computer slot. At this point, I'm thankful for a computer, even if it does appear to be older than dirt. I'm pretty sure that Bill Gates was still sporting pimples when he designed this thing.
How old is it? There is one - ONE! - USB port on the tower and apparently it isn't high speed. I didn't realize that speed even mattered until I plugged in my iPod for a couple of podcast updates and it took 20 minutes to download.
The tower also sports a floppy disk drive for Zip disks. Yep, it's got the 8-track tape deck of the computer world. For those unfamiliar with the vintage term "floppy disk," you can read about it here on Wikipedia.
Sadly, but not surprisingly, the new used computer (She needs a name, don't you think? Since she is old and has, er...character. I'll take suggestions.) will not be able to support the space-hogging Adobe software I use to make my beautiful blog designs.
Sigh. Now what am I going to do to pass the time?
Oh, yeah. I DO still have the Internet. Phew. Thank goodness for new used computers and a kind older brother.
4 comments:
i'm even more honored that you watched my lengthy video now that i know you had to watch it on mabel.
mabel is a good old lady computer name.
if your computer was new, sassy, and full of personality then i'd name her denise, after all it is the BEST NAME EVER!
It sounds as though our computers are twins. How precious. It's too early in the morning for me to think of twin names. I'll get on that though.
Oh bummer! My Dad does that all the time - remakes old computers and gives them to us...they ARE wonderful to have ;) even if they are older than dirt. I'll try to think of a name...but I stink at naming stuff ;)
iShirley has a hidden USB port on the front of the computer near the base. There is a little flap that you can pull up. Not sure why they designed it that way, but there you go. ;)
Post a Comment